Fighting Prednisone Weight

Hello. Well, I am back on prednisone. Today will be my third day on 15 mg. so I’m six days in. The arthritis got so bad I couldn’t sleep and the headaches weren’t getting any better so I had to put myself on it. When you have Lupus, you’re given a prednisone for when you need it and you’re provided with a taper schedule so that you don’t have to run to the doctor or wait for appointments when you’re in crisis. I appreciate this; however, I do not like having to take it. Last year, I would take it and gain a little weight but not much. This year, I’d take it and gain sooo much weight. And, of course, I lost my a lot of my immune system because of the DMARDS and couldn’t fight infections for over three months until I had my tonsils out (strep, staph and more all in the tonsils). I wasn’t responsive to two rounds of penicillin (which can cause a flare), 10 days of azithromycin, and one round of bactrim. When none of it worked, due to my circumstances, they removed my tonsils and I’ve since been able to build my immune system back up. I also, being sick, put on a lot of weight because of being down, eating, being off of some of my medications and supplements that helped to keep my weight down.

My new doctor told me about how she knows of at least two women that gained 100 pounds on prednisone. I am in the process of losing weight with my Zumba, Fit Bit, and training. I've gained 40 and I will not gain more. Moreover, I am hell bent on figuring out how to prevent weight gain on prednisone. So I thought back to why I didn’t gain much on it before. Well, I stopped most of my aminos because I simply forgot to take them. Brilliant!

Prednisone causes insulin spikes altering your metabolism; among other things. How do you counteract that? This is the $1,000,000 magical question. I use L-carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Cinnamon. L-Carnitine will help to reduce your blood sugar levels but there are studies that show it may not if you are obese so be honest with yourself prior to taking it and always ask a doctor if you can take it. Alpha Lipoic Acid helps with neurological issues as well as lowers insulin levels. Cinnamon is a natural insulin stabilizer and helps with blood flow. I use DHEA per my Rheumy’s orders and I’ve found that it can assist in adrenal function because prednisone, when taken over time can suppress adrenal function. An easy way to know whether or not you need DHEA is if you lose hair. Hair loss means you don’t need it. I’d stopped using it when I was losing my hair to see if that was the cause. It wasn’t.

I also take a liquid multi vitamin that has CoQ10, the Omegas, probiotics, and so on. I like liquid because of the bioavailability. If it can actually absorb into your system, it’s worth the money opposed to losing half the vitamins through your urine.

For those big chocolate cravings, I satisfy my dopamine levels by taking cysteine and phosphatidylserine. Prednisone affects cortisone levels and PS has a positive affect on you cortisone and dopamine levels.

Further, to reduce my hunger and crazy prednisone driven anger, I take the prednisone right before bed with half a flexeril. Yep, who says you have to take it during that day? I get sleep and I’m not Evil mommy Michelle making my death march through the house screaming at the family because they breathe. Lastly, water, water, water. If you’re hydrated and trying to sweat a little via walking, dancing, whatever you do, that water will help to reduce that super fun prednisone water weight.
I know it’s a lot of supplements and I could easily get an amino blend from the store and whatnot, but I personalize my aminos and take the dosages I need. You can’t get that from a blend.

I'm on day six of this taper, and I've had some down days without much exercise. I've lost a pound or two and have had no swelling, no crankiness, nothing. I'll let you know the end result since I still have three days of 10's and 5's to go. Have a great day everyone! I hope you’re having a great day and feeling great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let me introduce myself and lets talk fatigue

Lupus can teach others how to be better people