How can you help? Ask

Hello fellow Lupies and Lupie friends! I've been told that people want to help but they don't know how so they tend to keep their distance. I'd like to call bullshit on this. If you want to help and don't know what to do, ask, "Is there anything I can do?" The worst thing I can say is "Yes." And, here's the problem..... What if it is too cumbersome for me to handle. What if I can't do it? We're not toddlers. I'm an adult and "no" is a perfectly acceptable answer. The offer is enough because we just don't want to be forgotten and abandoned by those we care about.

I don't have time to sit down and teach people how to help me medically. I already have to babysit doctors and try to take care of children. I don't want anyone coming into my messy house to help me clean it. I just want a message here and there and perhaps a nice scheduled visit where we can sit on the couch and chat after I cleaned the area we'll be sitting in. I need a clean house but I've had to adapt to mess and deal with it. You know, "pick your battles". If you don't want to help, don't offer but also, don't expect us to be overly friendly with you when we're back up and functioning because for all of the people we are generally acquainted with, there's generally less than a handful that stuck around and actually cared enough to make sure we're still alive. If that. It makes us awfully strong people and we understand that we don't need many people so..... The biggest thing we need from people is honesty and for them to keep us out of their drama because stress is the number one flare up provoker. 

Today, I'm pulling my head out of my ass. Sometimes we have to do this because, honestly, if we don't, who will? I've been DEPRESSED! I've been in pain. I mean, tremendous pain and living life connected to marijuana for relief. Now, I get that there is this whole sub culture that LOVES to live life connected to the bong but I'm not that person. I love the o things like, drive, go to the gym, play with my kids.... You know, live. These migraines have been so debilitating and they're especially fun because they're vestibular migraines. This means I have migraines that impact the vestibular system as well so on top of the super fun migraine pain, I also have searing pain in my ears like I'm having a double ear infection. It also causes dizziness, imbalance, and so on. It's why I nearly crushed my neighbor's 7-year-old daughter and require a cane on occasion for stability. 

My last big migraine attack was in 2011 and it lasted for about three months. We're at month number four now and my vestibular system has been brought into the mix so YAY! ERG! 

Today, I am going to put myself on my own medication regiment. I'm going to stagger the Tylenol and Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation. I will start taking my muscle relaxers again (half doses because I want to stay awake) and I will go to the grocery store and get my diet back on track. See, when I'm down, no the kids get "backed up" and such because things like fruits and veggies are more of an option than a must. When I'm cooking, they have no choice and there's often fresh fruit/veggie juices in the fridge since we never buy it. Daddy does his best but I'm the Evil Nutrition Nazi that makes sure everyone eats right. It's been difficult also because I've only been able to stomach simple carbs which is no good. I'm going to have to get creative and figure out how to make nutritious foods my body will accept. Challenge accepted!

I'm going to make these migraines my bitch. By the end of next week my goal is to be back in the gym and off of marijuana for pain relief and to eat. 

Thanks to changing my insurance, and to my Rheumy, (thanks Doc!!! ) I finally have an appointment with a Neurologist on the 6th. I saw the ENT yesterday. Learned some things. It's not my sinuses or adenoids. I really wished it were because those answers are so much easier to fix. I'll give more details later. Let's all make a positive goal to work toward. It's great to have something to strive for and to look forward to. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Even you can't see it. It's there. 

Have a great day everyone!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lupus can teach others how to be better people

Let me introduce myself and lets talk fatigue